Pages

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Our Flaws...

... Why are they the one thing we notice the most?

A lot of us, like myself, look into a mirror and only see the things we don't like. And when we discover new imperfections, we obsess over them.

Like the other day for example. I liked my nose. I have never found any reason to pay particular attention to my nose. Until my little sister made the mistake of pointing out that my nose was wonky in a face-on picture of myself. Me, never noticing this before, zoomed right in on my nose. Five minutes earlier I hadn't even bothered looking at my nose. Now I was sitting there like:


"OMG IT'S COMPLETELY HIDEOUS!!!!"

I couldn't believe that I had never even noticed the fact that my nose wasn't straight. I was completely blind to it until it was pointed out.

That was it then.

I spent hours analysing every face-on picture of myself, sitting there in horror at my nose just taking a casual wander to the left. I was like:

"When did this monstrosity happen?!?!"

So, I went to take a closer look at all my old school photos. Sure enough, there it was. The hideous bent nose.

For the past 20 years of my life on this earth I have never once given a care in the world to my nose. Now, it's the first thing I see.
I look in a mirror: NOSE
I take a picture: NOSE
I have a conversation with someone: CAN THEY SEE MY WONKY NOSE????

It really makes me wish I was one of those people who just accepts everything about themselves. But I'm not. So I'm just going to sit here and sulk about the fact that wonky-nose has been added to my ever-growing list of flaws.

Someone get the violins out, I feel a wave of self-pity coming on...

But seriously though, we shouldn't obsess over the flaws we see in ourselves. They make us who we are so we shouldn't fight them... Even though they're a pain in the ass sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment